Content Manager: Creating a Collection
The best way to manage content like text, images, and files is to store it in a collection. This can be content that you create for your site, content you capture from your site visitors, or even content that your collaborators work on.
Your collections are stored in the Content Manager in a grid layout made up of items (rows) and fields (columns). Once you have your content organized in a collection, you can start to display it on your site pages by connecting it to an element like a repeater. You can read more about Connecting Elements to a Collection Using a Dataset in the Wix Help Center.
In this article, learn about:
One of the many advantages of working on content in a collection, is that there is no risk of making unwanted changes to the design of your site pages.
When creating a new collection, you can choose a preset to get you started with a beautifully designed set of dynamic pages, or you can start from scratch with a blank page.
You'll also need to set permissions for the collection. These permissions define who can access it, and what they can do with the content.
Creating a collection
Make sure to use a name that relates to the content in your collection. You can also choose to create a collection that contains just a single item. Learn more about collections with a single item.
Before you begin:
You must add the Content Manager to your site before you can create a collection. Learn how to add the Content Manager with the Wix Editor and Editor X.
To create a collection:
- Go to the Content Manager in your Editor:
- Wix Editor: Click Content Manager on the left side of the Editor.
- Editor X: Click Content Manager at the top of Editor X.
- Click Create a Collection.
- Enter a name for your collection.
- Choose how many items you want in your collection:
- A single item: A collection can have a single item containing many fields, such as text, images, video, and URLs. This type is best suited for non-repeatable content, such as an 'about' page.
- Multiple items (Default): A collection with multiple items stores much more content, and it can appear in an element such as a repeater or a table. This type is suited for property listings, portfolios, recipes, and so on. You can read more about the difference between Collections with a Single Item and Multiple Items.
- Click Create.
- You can update the permissions of an existing collection at any time.
- Start to display your content on your pages. For this, add a dataset to one of your pages, and then link the items in your collection to elements on your page.
Want to learn more?
Check out the full course in Wix Learn on getting started with the Content Manager. Check out the fourth video about how to add and remove dynamic content.
Did this help?