Content Manager: Adding and Setting Up a Dataset
A dataset is the link between the elements on your page and the content in your collection.
Think of a dataset as a two-way connection. It can be used to pull content from your collection to display on your site. It can also be used to capture content from your site visitors and add it to your collection via user inputs.
Step 1 | Add a dataset
Decide what you are using the dataset for before selecting the type of dataset to add to your page. For capturing content from site visitors, you need a Form Dataset. For displaying content, use a regular Dataset.
To add a dataset:
- Go to the Content Manager in your Editor:
- Wix Editor: Click Content Manager on the left side of the Editor.
- Editor X: Click Content Manager at the top of Editor X.
- Click the Add Content Elements tab.
- Click the Add icon next to the dataset type you want to add:
- Dataset: This is a general dataset without any predefined settings.
- Form Dataset: This dataset is pre-configured to work with user input elements.
Datasets appear as elements in the Editor but do not appear on your published site. You can put them wherever you want on your page.
Step 2 | Set up the dataset
Before you connect your dataset to elements on your page, make sure it is set up with the correct settings. Using the correct mode ensures the dataset behaves correctly for either displaying content on a page, or capturing content from site visitors.
To set up the dataset:
- Click the dataset in your Editor.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Connect a collection drop-down and select a collection to connect to.
- (Optional) Click the Dataset name field to rename the dataset. This is the name that appears in all Connect to Data panels.
- Click the Mode drop-down and select an option:
- Read: Elements on your page can read and display content from your collection. Site visitors cannot modify the content in your collection.
- Write: Elements on your page cannot display content from the collection. Visitors can interact with user input elements and a submit button to add content to your collection. However, visitors cannot edit the content in your collection.
- Read & Write: Elements on your page can read and display content from your collection. Visitors can interact with user input elements and a submit button to add or edit content in your collection.
- (Optional) Edit the Number of items to display field to adjust the maximum items to load. This is also the maximum items that load when visitors click "Load More" buttons on repeaters and galleries or "Next/Previous Page" buttons on dynamic item pages.
Click a question below to learn more about setting up datasets.
How do I control how much content appears in repeaters and galleries?
How do I control what content appears and in what order?
What can I do next with a dataset?
Want to learn more?
Check out the full course in Wix Learn on getting started with the Content Manager. Check out the fourth video about how to add and remove dynamic content.
Did this help?