CMS: Connecting a Button to a Dataset
4 min read
Connect a button element to a dataset to define what happens when the button is clicked. For example, you could link a button to the "Submit" click action, a dynamic item page, or a document stored in your collection. You can also connect the button label to a collection field to show dynamic text on your button.
To connect a button to a dataset:
- In your Editor, click the button you want to connect to the CMS.
- Click the Connect to CMS icon .
- Click the Choose a dataset drop-down and select an existing dataset that connects to your collection. Alternatively, click Add a Dataset, then choose the collection you want to connect, give the dataset a name and click Create.
- Click the Click action connects to drop-down and select the relevant option:
- Dataset Actions: Choose the action you want the dataset to perform when the button is clicked.
- Dynamic Pages: Choose the dynamic page you want to link to. Then choose how the link opens: In the current window or As a new window.
- Fields: Choose the collection field you want to connect to. You can connect to the following field types: Audio, Document, Image, URL, or Video. Learn more about the field types and their content limitations.
Tip: Select Add new field to add a new field in your collection and link to it.
- (Optional) Display dynamic text in the button that changes based to the collection item it links to. Click the Label connects to drop-down and select the relevant collection field.
Tip: Alternatively, you can use static text that doesn't change by going to the button settings.
Did this help?