Wix Multilingual: Automatically Showing Your Site to Visitors in the Language of their Browsers
2 min read
Automatically show visitors the language version of your site that matches their browser's language.
For example, if you translate your site to Spanish, and a visitor has their browser language set to Spanish, they view the Spanish version of your site. This way they don't have to manually change the language from your site's language menu.
If you don't have a Spanish version, this viewer lands on the default version of your site. They can still manually change the language from the language menu.
Before you begin:
Make sure your language is set to "Visible" in the Multilingual dashboard.
In this article, learn more about:
Important information about automatically redirecting your visitors
Before you decide to automatically show visitors your site in their browser language, we recommend reading the following information:
- Redirecting your site visitors based on their perceived language may stop them from viewing all the language versions of your site.
- Redirecting automatically affects search results. Search engines will only crawl and index your site for their main language. For example, the Googlebot crawler usually originates from the USA and will only crawl the English version of your site for search results. Learn more about multilingual sites from Google
- This feature is only available if you have at least one active secondary language in Wix Multilingual.
- You need to add the relevant language in Wix Multilingual for it to display. If you do not have your site translated into a visitor's browser language, they will see your default language version.
Automatically redirecting your visitors
Allow visitors to view your site in their browser language by enabling the Auto-switch language toggle in the Multilingual dashboard. Make sure your language is set to "Visible" in the Multilingual dashboard.
To automatically redirect your visitors:
- Click the Switch Languages drop-down at the top of the Editor.
- Click Manage Languages.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Language auto-switch toggle to change how your site redirects:
- Enabled: The site is automatically displayed in the visitor's browser language.
- Disabled: The site is displayed in your site's main language, and visitors must switch to their preferred language using your language menu.
Did this help?