Displaying a Cookie Banner on Your Site
6 min read
A cookie consent banner is a notification that informs your visitors on how their cookies are being used on your site.
When a site visitor first enters your site, only essential cookies and scripts are loaded. In order to use other types of cookies and scripts (e.g., Functional, Advertising, Analytics), you must obtain consent from your visitor. Visitors can either approve all cookie types by simply clicking Accept, or only allow specific types by clicking the Cookie Settings button.
Important information about Marketing & Analytics integrations
Step 1 | Enable the cookie banner
To make the cookie banner appear on your site, all you have to do is enable the Display Cookie Banner on Site toggle and save your changes. Once you save and publish, a banner instantly appears on your site with our default settings and design which you can customize at any time.
To enable the cookie banner:
- Go to Privacy & Cookies in your site's dashboard.
- Click Get Started next to Display a cookie consent banner.
- Enable the Display Cookie Banner on Site toggle.
- (Optional) Click Save & Publish to display the default banner on your site.
Step 2 | Customize your banner's look & texts
After enabling the cookie banner, make it your own by customizing your colors and buttons, and adjusting the text to your tone & voice. You can change the way you explain about cookies, as well as any buttons displayed on your banner.
To customize your banner:
Under Text & Display Settings, customize your banner by doing the following:
- Change the Banner Color Theme from light to dark by selecting the relevant checkbox, or customize your banner's colors to match your site. If customizing, you can also:
- Customize the Button Style with a choice of square, round or rounded corner buttons.
- Customize the text font as well as the font size.
- Edit the texts on your buttons and links:
- Setting Button Text: Visitors click this button to see which cookies are collected on your site.
- Add 'Decline All' button: Click the checkbox to add a Decline All button to your cookie banner. This allows visitors to decline all non-essential cookies and their preference to be remembered for future visits. Once the box is checked, you can customize the Decline All message that your visitors see.
- Add cookie settings widget to all pages: Click the checkbox to add a cookie settings widget to every page on your site. Visitors click the widget to re-open the cookie banner advanced settings. This allows your visitors to change their cookie preferences at will. Once the box is checked, you can customize the widget text and set the widget position on your site.
- Edit the text explaining about cookies in the text box. Tip: If needed, you can always click Restore Default Text to use the text Wix provides.
- Page on My Site: Select a page from the drop-down menu.
- External Web Address (URL): Paste the link in the text box.
Before you can complete the process and add the cookie banner to your site, you must review the requirements and select the checkbox next to I've read and understood the above.
While the standard cookie banner prevents certain types of cookies being placed, some elements are outside of its control. For those elements, you need to collect consent separately or remove them from your site to stay compliant.
About element placeholders
Some elements, such as Google Maps and Facebook Likes will not display on your site until your visitor has accepted the relevant cookies. On first view, the element will remain obscured and only a placeholder will display.
The placeholder feature is not yet available to all users.
See a list of elements subject to placeholder acceptance
Step 5 | Customize your banner's advanced settings
Access your banner's advanced settings to customize the texts explaining about the cookies your site uses. The banner includes default texts about Essential, Marketing, Functional and Analytics cookies which you can customize to your needs.
If your visitor wishes to view the component, they are invited to revisit their cookie preferences and enable the relevant cookies.
To customize your advanced settings:
- Click Advanced Options.
- Click Customize Cookie Categories Text.
- Edit the following text:
- Save Button Text: The button your visitors click to log their consent.
- Cookie Categories Text Content: Edit the explanation about the types of cookies you collect. Notes:
- You can also change the headline text for all cookie types, except for Essential.
- You can always click Restore Default Text to go back to the banner's default texts.
Step 6 | Save and publish
Access your Consent Log to view and manage consent collected through your cookie banner. If needed, you can export the log and search for specific site members.
Click a question below to learn more about cookies and your Wix site.
My cookie banner does not display for visitors. Why is this happening?
Can I view my cookie banner while editing my site?
Can I customize the text that shows on the component placeholder?
Can I disable the component placeholder?
Did this help?