Wix Forum: Creating a Category
2 min read
Help forum readers quickly find what they're looking for by organizing your forum into categories. Customize each category by changing the category name (which appears in the navigation bar), the category header title (which appears in the header), and the header background.
- Only admins have permission to create a new category.
- Wix Forum comes with a sample category. Don't forget to either rename and customize the sample category, or delete it altogether.
To create a category in your forum:
- Go to your forum in your site's dashboard.
- Click the Categories tab on the left.
- Click Add Category.
- Enter a name in the Category Name field (appears in the navigation menu).
- Customize the New Post button text.
- Enter a name in the Category Header Title field (appears in the header).
- Enter a short description of what your category is about in the Category Header Subtitle field (maximum 65 characters).
- Choose one of the following options:
- Click the Background color field to choose a color for your header background.
- Click the Opacity field to increase or decrease the level of opacity of your header.
- Click the Text color field to choose the color of your header text.
- Click the Add icon to add an image to your header.
- Click the Overlay color field to choose the color for your image overlay.
- Click the Opacity field to increase or decrease the level of opacity on your image.
- Choose what type of commenting system you would like:
- Comments with reactions: Comments appear in the order they are posted. Members can react with a heart.
- Comments with Upvotes and Downvotes: Comments are ordered by votes. Upvote a comment to push it to the top.
- Choose who has access to the category and its content:
- Everyone: Any member can access this category.
- Logged in members: Only members that are logged in can access this category
- Selected members: Only specific members, with certain roles, badges, or subscriptions can access this category.
- Choose who can post in this category:
- Everyone with access: All members that have access to the category can write posts in this category.
- Admins and moderators only: Only admins and moderators can write posts in this category.
- Click the Category guidelines toggle to enable or disable it:
- Enabled: A set of guidelines created by you are added to the category. These can include asking all members to stay within the topic of the category, etc.
- Disabled: Guidelines do not appear on your category.
- Click Save.
Did this help?