Site Members: Creating Member Roles
2 min read
You can create roles and assign them to your site members to control which pages on your site they can access.
For example, if you have a teaching website, you can create Teacher and Student roles and assign them to your members. You can then make some of your pages accessible to any member (e.g. teachers and students) and restrict some pages to specific members only (e.g. teachers).
Before you begin:
Go to your site's Editor and change the pages that you want to restrict to Members Only pages.
Step 1 | Add the new role
First, you need to create the new role that you want to use. This new role will be available in any part of your site that you can restrict by role, such as your site's pages and your Pricing Plans.
To create a new role:
- Go to Contacts in your site's dashboard.
- Click Site Members.
- Click Member Permissions in the top right.
- Click + New Role.
- Enter a name to identify the role under Role Name.
- Click the Role Color drop-down menu and select a color.
- (Optional) Enter a short description of the role under Description.
Note: This description is not visible to site members.
- Select a color to help you identify the role under Role Color.
- Click Save Role.
Step 2 | Set permissions for your new role
Next, you can set the permissions that you want your new role to have. These permissions determine the level of access to your site that members with this role have.
To set your role's permissions:
- Click Site Members on the left.
- Click Member Permissions on the top right.
- Click Set Permissions at the top.
- Select the checkboxes next to the pages that you want members with this role to be able access.
Note: Only regular pages on your site that you set as Members Only appear in this list. You can set access for your Member's Area pages and dynamic pages in your Editor.
- Click Save.
Step 3 | Assign your role to members
After you've created your new role and set its permissions, you can assign to members of your site.
- Click the Members tab on your new role.
- Click + Add Members.
- Select the checkbox next to any member that you want to add.
- Click Add.
Did this help?