About the Wix 404 Error Message Page
2 min read
In the past, if you (or a site visitor) entered a URL for a page on your site that does not exist, then your site's home page was displayed instead.
We recently changed this behaviour. Now, a Wix 404 error message page is displayed. A 404 response code means "page not found". The Wix 404 page includes a short paragraph describing the reason for this response and a button that takes your site visitors to the home page of your site.
We changed to a 404 error message page because:
- We want your site visitors to know that they are looking for a specific URL that does not exist, rather than sending them to your home page.
- We want to provide the correct response. The new 404 response says that the page does not exist.
The new 404 page looks like this:
- If you have a page that no longer exists and is returning a 404 error, or you have changed the URL name of a previously published page, you can create a 301 redirect to your home page or to another page in the site.
- If you see a page returning a 404 response which you believe is incorrect, click here to troubleshoot the problem.
- You can customize your 404 error page to make sure your visitors keep exploring your site after seeing the error. Learn How
- Currently, this is not available for verticals (Wix Stores, Wix Bookings etc, and third-party apps).