Switching Your Domain's Connection Method
3 min read
You can switch your domain's connection method to change who hosts your domain's DNS records.
With a name servers connection, Wix will host your DNS and you can manage your domain's DNS in your Wix account.
With a pointing connection, your domain's DNS is hosted outside of Wix and you will manage your domain's DNS with another company.
Not sure which connection method to use?
In most cases we recommend connecting via name servers. However, pointing might be a better option if you have several DNS records you'd prefer not to reconfigure. Learn more about the differences between pointing and name server connections.
Changing your connection from pointing to nameservers
You can switch your domain connection method from pointing to name servers to connect a domain that you already own to Wix. Wix hosts your DNS records, and you'll be able to manage them directly from your Wix account.
To change your connection from pointing to name servers:
- Go to Domains in your Wix account.
- Click the More Actions icon next to the relevant domain and select Remove from Wix.
- Click Remove Domain.
- Click Connect a domain you already own.
Note: If you don't see this option, click Add an Existing Domain, then select Connect a domain you already own.
- Select the site you want to connect your domain to and click Next.
- Enter your domain name and click Next. If required, confirm that you are the owner of that domain.
Tip: Keep this window open so you can return to verify your connection in step 7.
- Click Start and follow the instructions on screen to update your DNS records with your domain host.
- If you don't see instructions to update your DNS records in step 7, you've already updated them.
- It can take up to 48 hours for your domain connection to go live worldwide due to DNS propagation.
Changing your connection from nameservers to pointing
You can switch your domain connection method from name servers to pointing to keep your domain's DNS hosted outside of Wix. To change your connection method to pointing you need access to your domain host account.
If you change your connection method to pointing, Wix is unable to help you manage your DNS records as they are hosted elsewhere. You'll need to contact your DNS host if you need assistance with your records.
To change your connection from nameservers to pointing :
- Log in to your domain host account
- Find the section where the DNS records are located.
- Replace the fields below with the following records:
- A Record:
- Host: @ or [blank]
- Points to: 18.104.22.168
- Host: www
- Points to: pointing.wixdns.net
- Name servers: Reset to the domain host's default
- A Record:
- Save the changes.
It can take up to 48 hours for the records to propagate and for the change to be reflected in your Wix account.
Did this help?