Wix Blog: Managing Tags
6 min read
Tags are subsets of categories and are great for organizing your blog posts. Think of them as keywords that are used to help your readers filter through your blog posts.
Each tag assigned to your post helps to narrow down your post topics and give your visitors an idea of what the post is about.
In this article, learn how to:
From Tags in your dashboard, you can create and manage your tags. The tags appear in on your Post page under each blog post.
- Each tag has a limit of 50 characters, and you can have a maximum of 30 tags per post.
- Tags need to be separated using commas.
To create tags:
- Go to Tags in your site's dashboard.
- Click Create Tag.
- Enter your Tag Name and Slug in the fields provided.
Note: The slug field automatically populates based on what you add in the tag name field.
- (Optional) Click Edit SEO Settings.
- (Optional) Enter your SEO details.
- Click Save.
- Click the Posts tab.
- Hover over a post and click Edit.
- Click Tags in the sidebar on the left.
- Add the tag you created.
- When you're ready, click Publish.
Adding a Tag Cloud element to your site
You can also add a Tag Cloud element to your site. Any tags that you've created and are attached to at least one published post are displayed in the Tag Cloud.
A Tag Cloud can display up to 500 tags.
To add a Tag Cloud element to your site:
- Navigate to the page in your Editor that you want to add the Tag Cloud element to.
- Click Add on the left side of the Editor.
- Click Blog.
- Click Tag Cloud.
- Drag a Tag Cloud element onto your page.
Customizing your Tag Cloud settings
Once you've added your Tag Cloud to your site, you can choose what's displayed in the element itself and also customize the layout and design to suit your needs.
To customize your Tag Cloud settings:
- Click the Tag Cloud in your Editor.
- Click Settings.
- Choose what you want to customize:
Customizing your Post page tag settings
Once you've created some tags, you can also customize how they look on your Post page. You can choose how the text appears in your tags, from alignment to font style and color etc.
In order for tags to appear on your blog posts, you need to make sure that tags are enabled in the display settings of your Post page. Once you have enabled them to be displayed, you can customize the design in Settings.
To customize your Post page tag settings:
- Go to your Post page and click on a post.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Display tab
- Enable the Tags check box.
- Click the Design tab.
- Click Tags.
- Customize the following:
- Show label: Click the Show label toggle to show or hide the tag label.
- Tag layout: Choose from either a button layout or a text layout.
- Tag alignment: Choose to align the text in your tag in to the left, in the center, or to the right.
- Vertical spacing: Set the amount of vertical space between each tag.
- Horizontal spacing: Set the amount of horizontal space between each tag.
- Vertical Padding: Set the amount of vertical space around your tag text.
- Horizontal Padding: Set the amount of horizontal space around your tag text.
- Font style & color: Click the Expand icon to select a font style, and click the color box to select a font color.
- Background color: Click the color box to choose a background color and set the level of color.
- Border opacity and color: Click the color box to choose the border color and set the level of opacity.
- Border width: Set the width of the border.
- Corner radius: Set the corner radius.
Click a question below to find out more.
Can I edit an existing tag?
Can I delete a tag I no longer need?
Did this help?