Google Workspace: Renaming a Workspace User
This feature is not yet available in all regions.
Rename a Google Workspace user to keep your business content up to date. You may want to update a Workspace user account to reflect an employee changeover, or change the name of a business email - e.g. change email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are 2 ways to rename a Workspace user account:
- You can change the first name, last name, and email username of any user within your Wix account (i.e. 'nathan' in email@example.com).
- You can also change the email username and/or the display name (first and last name) of any of the Google Workspace users in your Google Workspace Admin console.
- The Workspace user account will not lose any data due to these changes.
- The user's current address will become an alias to ensure email delivery.
In this article, learn more about:
Before you begin
The user must sign out of their Workspace account in order for you to change the user's display name or username.
Renaming a Workspace user via your Wix account
You can rename a Workspace user by accessing your Wix account and changing a user's details.
To rename a user via your Wix account:
- Go to your My Business Email page.
- Click Show User info on the site where the account is located.
- Click the Show More icon.
- Select Rename your user.
- Fill in the details you want to change - first name, last name, or email username.
- Click Rename your user.
Changing the username and/or display name of a user in Google Workspace
You can rename a user within your Google Workspace.
To change the username and/or display name of a user in Google Workspace:
- Click here to sign in to your Wix account.
- Hover over the user panel at the top right and click Business Email.
- Click the Show More icon next to the relevant user
- Click Manage at Google.
- Sign in to your Google Workspace account:
- Enter your email address.
- Click Next.
- Enter the password.
- Click Sign In.
- Click Users.
- Click Renameto the right of the relevant user.
- Edit the user details.
- Click Rename user.
What happens in Google Talk after changing these details?
After changing these details, all the contacts in the user's Google Talk chat list will be removed. The user might not be able to use chat for up to 3 days.
How long before the updated name is available?
The rename operation can take up to 10 minutes.
Did this help?