Activating Private Registration for a Wix Domain
3 min read
When you purchase a domain from Wix, you can choose to pay an additional fee for private registration. This means we make sure your name and contact information aren't visible publicly in the WHOIS directory.
Private registration for your domain is available while purchasing it, or when you manually extend its registration for at least one year."
You can choose to turn off this setting in your Wix domains dashboard at any time.
In this article, learn how to:
Purchasing Privacy Protection while extending a domain
In the case that you have already completed your domain purchase with public registration, you can add private registration by manually extending your domain registration for at least an additional year.
To extend domain registration and purchase privacy option:
- Go to Premium Subscriptions in your Wix account.
Note: Scroll to the relevant domain if you have more than one in your account.
- Click the More Actions icon next to the relevant domain.
- Click Extend.
- Select a registration period (e.g., extend by an additional one, two, or three years) and click Continue.
- Select Full privacy protection and click Continue.
- Select your payment method click Submit Purchase.
Turning off Privacy Protection for your domain
If you purchase private registration and change your mind, you can always switch it off in your Wix account, then choose to switch it on again at any time.
To turn off private registration:
- Go to the Domains page in your Wix account.
- Click the More Actions icon next to the relevant domain and select Edit Contact Info.
- Scroll down and click Show more next to Privacy Protection.
- Click Turn off privacy protection.
- Click Turn Off Privacy in the pop-up that appears.
It may take up to 48 hours for the privacy settings to be updated in the WHOIS database.
Is it possible to get a refund if I change my mind?
Can I apply private registration to my domain after I purchase or extend it?
Can I purchase private registration for a .co.uk domain?
What personal information is still available publicly for EU-based domains that have purchased private registration?