Wix Stores: How to Export Your Products from Mexico to the United States
Want to start exporting your Wix Store products from Mexico to the United States? Not sure what your obligations are as an exporter?
This article will provide a general summary of the requirements along with a list of the documentation required by Mexico and the US, as indicated in public resources.
The explanations and information provided are only general, high-level explanations and examples and may be partial or out-of-date. Do not rely on this article as legal advice or regarding what action you should take. We recommend you seek legal counsel to help you understand what is required and to assist you in the importation and exportation of products.
Export Requirements in Mexico: Getting Started
In this official Customs Services Portal, you can learn about exportation of products out of Mexico. In addition, this official Import and Export guide may be helpful, as it includes information about the structure of the general administration of customs and procedures and requirements for exportation of goods out of Mexico.
Requirements and procedures may vary depending on the product you want to export.
Other possible considerations when shipping products (this may not be a complete list):
- Packaging and labeling: When shipping your products, it may be important to consider the type of packaging, the materials, the environmental conditions, the package durability, the buyer's specifications, the labeling, and the government regulations.
- Means of transport: You may need to determine the international means of transport you are going to use, as well as the freight rates.
- Product Price: You need to calculate the export price of your product.
- International sales contract: It may be necessary to have an international sales contract that protects you from any legal risk related to international trade.
- Payment method: You should determine which payment method is most convenient for making or receiving payments for merchandise.
Importation process from Mexico to the United States
To lawfully enter foreign imports into a U.S. port of entry, which can be by air, land, or sea, you need to comply with the importation process determined by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), which varies based on the merchandise imported.
As indicated on the CBC website, there may be specific requirements related to a particular commodity, such as those set by Partner Government Agencies (PGA). It is your sole responsibility to investigate and explore the compliance requirements determined by each entity, agency or governmental body.
Information to consider
Once your online store or eCommerce page is published, you will be operating on a global scale. Be sure to set up store shipping to handle potential shipments abroad.
We also recommend checking the resources and activities of organizations such as Promexico, Cofoce or the Mexican Association of Online Sales (AMVO), and following their updates regarding aid for SMEs, notices and articles of interest.
Did this help?